Musings on the Ridiculous in Laredo

Ladies and gents…our next failed baseball team!

I hate baseball. I find it’s one of the most boring sports out there. And since it’s played in summer, I hate it even more because what lunatic enjoys sitting in the heat?

But I have to admit, this makes me laugh. After the stink fest surrounding the building of the new stadium and dissing the Laredo Broncos, this just topped it all. Allow me to introduce the Laredo Lemurs.

The Laredo Lemurs!

I’m not too sure what Lemurs have to do with Laredo. Is it because it started with “L”? Couldn’t we have been the Laredo Llamas? Or Laredo Lambs? Or Laredo Lunatics?

An intraweb buddy suggest we be the Laredo Lepers, which makes much more sense to me, given our proximity to the city with the highest percentage of people with leprosy (calling them lepers is so Old Testament). He even took the time to make up their uniform. Thanks, bud!

The Laredo Leper Captain

About these ads

6 responses

1. I fully believe Carlos Villarreal and select council members got cash in hand for this deal. Why else would he have been pushing so hard?

August 6, 2011 at 3:38 pm

• Et tu Rosse

I hear ya Guera. To paraphrase Daniel Tosh, ” Who the hell wants to watch two guys play catch for 3 hours.” XD

August 6, 2011 at 4:33 pm

2. Laredo Lunatics, I guess. ;)

August 8, 2011 at 9:34 am

3. Great way to give support to Laredo!

Maybe the negativity could be toned down a bit. I remember that the similar taunts were hurled at the Laredo Bucks several years ago, and we saw how they had a nice run for a while.

In the end, the most important thing is supporting our city, but I guess Debbie Downers never take a day off.

August 8, 2011 at 6:37 pm

4. Laredo Lambiscones?? Ok, ok, I will be honor the Lemurs and hope the best for them.

August 9, 2011 at 1:10 am

5. Hey, I’m more pragmatic than negative, and I did warn readers that I am hyper critical. I have been opposed to a baseball stadium from the beginning. I voted against it. I didn’t (still don’t!) buy the argument that when baseball isn’t in season, the stadium would be used for concerts. The LEA doesn’t always fill seats, and with this new GM, we mostly get Latin concerts or kiddie stuff. How are we going to fill TWO concert venues?
    Yes, I think the Laredo Lemurs will fail. Although I think the Broncos got a raw deal, I don’t think either team would survive. The one thing the Bucks have going for them is that their game is played on ice. And in winter. But I would like to remind you that the City of Laredo has had to funnel hundreds of thousands of dollars (our taxpayer dollars) to the Bucks to keep them afloat and help them pay their bills. That’s rumor but actual fact.
    I refuse to play the fool to our City government. And I refuse to say that I’ll pay money to an outside company so I can sit in the heat to watch a sport I find phenomenally boring.

August 9, 2011 at 11:14 am